NMPA granted nine manufacturers innovation approval and priority review status, including four overseas ones.
- Mevion Medical Systems: Proton Therapy System
- Biosense Webster (Israel): Magnetic Positioning Multi-channel Pulsed Electric Field Ablation System
- EyeYon Medical Ltd: Artificial Corneal Endothelial Membrane
- Weizhi Medical: Implantable Retinal Electrical Stimulator Implant
- Guangzhou Ruijia: Collar button artificial cornea
- XVIVO Perfusion AB: Lung perfusion system “
- Hangzhou Jianjia Robotics: Hip Replacement Surgery Navigation System
- Foshan Ruijiatu: Mobile Head and Neck Magnetic Resonance Imaging System
- United Imaging: Magnetic resonance imaging system
How to Qualify the Fast-track Channel
Three fast-track channels have been established by NMPA to encourage innovation and deal with unmet medical needs: Innovation Approval, Priority Review, and Emergency Approval.
The “Innovation Approval Procedure for Medical Devices” lists four criteria for domestic or imported Class II / Class III medical devices manufacturers to apply:
- Provide significant clinical application value,
- Own valid invention patent and have China Patent & Trade Office coverage,
- Complete the preliminary study on a prototype with traceable data, and
- Have an authorized in-country legal entity.
For Priority Review, applicants need to meet one of the following scenarios:
- Treat rare diseases with significant clinical application value,
- Diagnose or treat malignant tumors with significant clinical application value,
- Diagnose or treat geriatric diseases, with no effective diagnosis or treatment
- Be intended for pediatric diseases with significant clinical application value,
- Be intended for unmet medical needs, which currently have no effective diagnosis or treatment, or
- Be listed in National Science and Technology Major Projects or National Key R & D Plans
If the “fast-track channel” is granted (which does not mean “approval”), the device will be allocated ‘front-of-queue’ priority throughout the registration process. The granted priority affects the classification determination, pre-clinical testing, QMS auditing, and NMPA reviewing/approving processes. Meanwhile, a specially assigned NMPA officer would check in and provide guidance throughout the whole expedited process.
This fast-track channels will greatly accelerate the registration process and CMD and help you evaluate the possibilities of your application. For our comprehensive review of the fast-track channels, please click HERE.