Pic: Getty Images
On May 13, 2019, the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council published the “Notice on Trial Implementation of Tariff Waiver Plan on Goods from USA and Canada”. The duties can be exempted or refunded if the China importers demonstrate the following three criteria:
- Difficulties in finding alternative sources of goods;
- Adding tariffs will cause serious economic damage to the applicants;
- Adding tariffs will have major negative structural impacts on related industries, or bring serious social consequences (including on industry development, technological progress, employment, environmental protection, etc.)
For the first batch of tariffed items, Chinese importers can apply for the waiver from June 3 to July 5, 2019. For the second batch of tariffed items, they can apply from September 2 to October 18, 2019.
ChinaMed Device, LLC is an NMPA (CFDA) certified legal agent. For the link to apply for exemption, please contact info@ChinaMedDevice.com.
The China State Council issued two tariff plans worth $66 billion on goods imported from U.S. last year. They have imposed duties of 25%, 20%, 10% and 5% on the products.
Taxable medical devices include medical consumables, imaging equipment, and IVD reagents, MRI, X-ray machine, patient monitor and some ophthalmic devices.
- 9 items subject to a 25% tariff: X-ray contrast agents, X-ray photographic film, surgical gloves and other consumables, etc.
- 7 items subject to a 20% tariff: Disinfector, X-ray non-destructive flaw detector, and audiometer, thermometer, etc.
- 5 items subject to a 10% tariff: Rubber clothing, alpha, beta, gamma ray equipment, veterinary devices, etc.
- 23 items subject to a 5% tariff: MRI, ECG, X-machines, B-san, color ultrasound, hemodialysis machines, dentures, surgical gut suture; sterile kelp, absorbent hemostatic material, hernia mesh, etc.
For our comments on the two tariff lists, please click HERE.
Keep yourself updated with NMPA (CFDA) News Roundup, click HERE to opt-in.
About ChinaMed Device, LLC
ChinaMed Device, LLC (www.ChinaMedDevice.com) provides regulatory and commercialization turnkey solutions for western medical device, IVD, CDx and combination products to enter China. As a certified NMPA (CFDA) legal agent with offices in Boston and Beijing, we can represent overseas manufacturers for the complete product life cycle without their need to set up local entity in China.
Our NMPA (CFDA) regulatory services include: RA, regulatory strategy, regulatory submissions, clinical evaluation reports (CER), clinical trials, QA, GMP and post-market compliance. Our commercialization services include: market assessment research, reimbursement, partnership strategies, and distribution qualification.