NMPA granted Fast-Track Status to two medical device manufacturers in July:
Innovation approval status:
- Shenzhen Guiji Chuangan: continuous glucose monitor
Priority review status:
- Mingfeng Medical: X-ray computerized tomography equipment
We have helped a leading radiotherapy equipment manufacturer to obtain innovation approval for their Ct-Linac, a combination of CT and linear accelerator. We completed its clinical trial in fewer than 12 months from patient recruitments to final data reporting. Please click HERE for more information.
Overseas Clinical Data
The overseas clinical trial data has been utilized by NMPA to evaluate imported devices’ clinical performance.
The latest example was Transcatheter Aortic Valve System from Edwards Lifesciences, whom NMPA granted Innovation Approval to on June 8. Edwards Lifesciences provided overseas PIIS3HR cohort clinical trial data. The overseas data in China is supported by clinical trial data and literature review of the device and its similar predicates, which demonstrated that the genetic differences do not pose safety and efficacy issues.
We have the NMPA Evaluation Reports for 72 Innovation Devices granted since November 2017. For our comments on 2019 reports, please click HERE.
Key Takeaways for Overseas Manufacturers
Only one out of five medical devices granted Innovative Device Status (not approved yet) by NMPA in 2019 were imported. Since domestic and overseas manufacturers have equal opportunity for this program, U.S. and European companies may not be taking full advantage.
Of the 39 innovation device status in 2019, only eight (just about 20%) were imported devices. One of those is Cardiovascular Systems, a company represented by China Med Device, LLC. China Med Device also conducted clinical trials for United Imaging’s CT-Linac (Click HERE), a combination of CT and accelerator for cancer radiotherapy. NMPA granted Innovation Approval to CT-Linac in December 2018. Email info@ChinaMedDevice.com to see if you are qualified to apply.
Overseas manufacturers have to bear in mind that:
- NMPA gives overseas manufacturers equal opportunity for the fast-track channels. No difference as to the qualifications for domestic manufacturers vs. overseas ones;
- “Conditional Approval” applies for urgently-needed medical devices. NMPA issue the “Guideline on Conditional Approval for Medical Devices” on December 20, 2019. It specifies that devices and IVDs indicated for life-threatening illnesses can be granted “Conditional Approval”, if the benefits of the products overweigh the risks, and the manufacturers are committed to do further clinical research;
- They can initiate innovation approval applications at same time when applying China Patent & Trade Office coverage. Application does not have to be made after getting the patent;
- Having been granted “status” does not mean “approval”. With ‘front-of-queue’ priority, they still have to go through the normal review process.
China Med Device has translated “Innovation Approval Procedure for Medical Devices” and other official NMPA documents into English as a service for its clients. Email info@ChinaMedDevice.com for details.